|This page uses content from Bleach Wiki. The original article was at Quincy. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Bleach Fan Fic Wiki, the text of Bleach Wiki is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|
|English||Monk of Destruction|
|Primary Power||Spirit Weapon|
|Notable Members||Uryu Ishida, Ryuken Ishida, the Vandenreich|
The Quincy (滅却師 (クインシー), Kuinshī; lit. "Monk of Destruction") in modern terms, they were Human mediums, having the ability to detect the existence of Hollows. It all started when they began to training to confront them in order to defeat Hollows, the same as Shinigami do. Most of the Quincy were destroyed by the Shinigami over 200 years ago in order to prevent the destruction of the world. Quincy are the complete polar opposite of Shinigami.
Quincy are spiritually aware Humans able to absorb and manipulate Reishi into spiritual weapons.
- Reishi Absorption: Although Shinigami and Quincy both use Reiryoku when fighting, they both have a completely opposite fighting style. Shinigami use the spiritual power created from their soul in conjunction with a Zanpakutō to fight against the Hollows. It can be said they fight using a power from within. On the contrary, a Quincy uses the Reishi in the atmosphere, and combines it with his/her Reiryoku to create weapons. They fight using a power from outside. They have an easier time collecting this energy in environments with higher concentrations of Reishi such as in Soul Society or Hueco Mundo. To a sufficiently powerful Quincy, there is no difference between Reishi and Reiryoku as a source of power.
- Spirit Weapon: The weapon that Quincy create by gathering the Reishi in the air. The only limit to a Quincy's ability to create and fire arrows is their own stamina and ability to absorb ambient Reishi.
Spiritual Awareness: As a spiritual being, the Quincy can sense Hollows and other spiritual beings at a significant distance, and tell in what direction they are in. Quincy have an acute perception of Reiatsu.
Gemischt and Echt QuincyEdit
At some point within their history, the Quincy began to distinguish themselves based upon an individual's ancestry and adopted the practice of true-breeding. Those who were descended from a long line of only Quincy and so, were thought to have a pure heritage, came to be known as Echt (純血統 (エヒト); Ehito, Japanese for "Pure-Blooded", German for "Real") Quincy, while all others were instead referred to as Gemischt (混血統 (ゲミシュト); Gemishuto, Japanese for "Mixed-Blooded", German for "Mixed"). In order to preserve their pure lineage, many families conducted arranged marriages between their own children and only those belonging to other pure families.
The final point of contrast between the Quincy and Shinigami is their respective choice of uniform. While the Shinigami wear traditional, black, flowing hakama, the Quincy wear white, form-fitting, high-collared tunics. These bear some resemblance both to Mandarin Chinese dress and to cassocks of Catholic priests. This gives the Quincy a distinctly "foreign" or "Western" style compared to the Shinigami. One peculiar recurring motif of Quincy is that of a cross, which appears frequently on their uniforms and artifacts. The cross is not the same shape among all Quincy (e.g. Uryū uses a Celtic cross, while Ryūken uses a pentacle). There is also a six-pointed cross that appears on the back of Uryū's Quincy tunic. The differences between Quincy and Shinigami in costume and iconography are minor compared to the differences in weaponry and ideology.
The Quincy were created by Yhwach. He is their King and his blood flows in every Quincy. The Quincy were scattered all over the world at one time. They were relatives of magic hunters who specialized in the war against Hollows.
Fall of the QuincyEdit
Since the origin of the Quincy, many years passed within Soul Society trying to appeal to the Quincy that the handling of Hollows should be left to the Shinigami. The Quincy refused to accept the situation. As time went on, the number of Quincy increased and the cycle of souls became more unstable, forcing the Shinigami to reluctantly wipe out the Quincy in order to maintain the balance of the world.
The Quincy line was closely monitored over the decades, as their numbers continued to dwindle. Later the Quincy advanced the idea that since they were already among the living and still more numerous at the time, they could act as "first responders" to Hollow attacks: protecting Humans until the less-numerous Shinigami could send a representative to finish the Hollow off. Embittered by the recent war, the Shinigami refused to participate, opting instead to allocate their limited resources to reacting to the most dangerous Hollows and current Hollow attacks. This caused great enmity towards Shinigami. Uryū Ishida, Ichigo's classmate and a Quincy whose grandfather, Sōken Ishida, was the last advocate of the Quincy plan was slain by a group of Hollows before the Shinigami could arrive.
Quincy Legend: History RealizedEdit
Within Quincy legend, there is mention of a sealed king. According to the one legend, the seal would be broken and the king would regain his heart after 900 years. 90 years after, his intellect would return. And 9 years afterwards, his power would return. To regain his powers, the king would have to steal the powers of impure Quincy. This legend was proven true when Yhwach stole Masaki Kurosaki's and Kanae Katagiri's powers.
Danger to the BalanceEdit
Shinigami govern the souls between the Human World and Soul Society, which maintains a balance that if not kept would result in the mutual destruction of both worlds. All souls, including Hollows, are subject to the Shinigami governance of maintaining the balance. Quincy completely extinguish Hollows. Thus the souls that come to the Human World do not return to Soul Society and therefore the souls would increase only on the side of the Human World. Meaning, the Human World becomes heavy in souls causing Soul Society to spill over into it; mixing life and death. The ultimate result would be the end of the world.
While they are trained to confront Hollows in order to defeat them just as Shinigami do, the biggest difference between the Quincy and Shinigami, since ancient times, is whether to kill or not to kill Hollows. The Shinigami purify Hollows with their Zanpakutō and send them to Soul Society, while the Quincy killed the Hollows. The idea can be seen as comparing justice and vengeance: "Hollows devour souls of Humans, so why must it be that those who harm and kill friends and relatives get sent peacefully to Soul Society?"
- Archery:is the most used form of combat among the Quincy. Since they're still human, maintaining a distance from highly dangerous Hollows as well as launching numerous attacks on multiple opponents gives them a great advantage offensively and defensively.
- Gintō: A capsule-shaped tool used by Quincies to store their spiritual energy.It is an antiquated tool, but the use of it allows Quincies to perform certain techniques.
- Hirenkyaku: An advanced Quincy moving technique. It allows for high speed movements by riding on the flow of reishi created below the user's feet.
- Blut (血装 (ブルート), burūto; German for "Blood", Japanese for "Blood Guise"): A Quincy ability that gives one inhuman defensive & offensive capability. By making reishi flow into their blood vessels they increase their attack and defense power drastically. Blut is significantly dangerous but it has one big flaw, the two forms of blut for attack and defense work using two different reishi systems, so they cannot be used at the same time.
- Blut Vene (静血装 (ブルート・ヴェーネ), burūto vēne; German for "Blood Vein"): is one of the two forms of Blut. Blut Vene is the blut for defense. It must consciously be kept a full power at all times if to counter an opponents ability to deal damage over time.
- Blut Arterie (動血装 (ブルート・アルテリエ), burūto aruterie; German for "Blood Artery"): is one of the two forms of Blut. Blut Arterie is the blut of offense. It is the only thing capable of being able to significantly attack against the power of a Shinigami's Bankai. It cannot be used with Blut Vene working at full power.
Rare Quincy TechniquesEdit
To go with their bow, the Quincy have a number of rare special techniques to give them an edge in combat:
- Ransōtengai (乱装天傀; lit. "heavenly wild puppet suit", "disheveled paradise puppet" in the Viz translation): This is a high level technique that allows the user to control their body parts using strings of spirit energy controlled by their brain, forming lines or strings out of countless reishi. By using this technique, the user can control their body as one would a puppet, allowing them to move freely despite paralysis, broken limbs, or any other force that would impede normal movement. It was originally created to allow elderly Quincy to fight effectively, and is rare enough that Mayuri had never encountered a Quincy (out of the 2661 that he examined or studied) who could use it before Uryū. Mayuri stated it as "the most powerful technique for the Quincy," but he did not know of the Quincy: Letzt Stil, which means as far as Mayuri knew it was the strongest.
- Quincy: Letzt Stil (滅却師最終形態（クインシー・レツトシュティール）, Kuinshī Retsutoshutīru; Japanese for "destruction sage: final form, Quincy", German for "last style", Viz Media Translation, "Letz Stile"): is the last resort for a Quincy reached after removing the Sanrei Glove. It gives the user a tremendous amount of power, but at the price of loss of their powers upon its completion.
- Quincy: Vollständig (滅却師完聖体 (クインシー・フォルシュテンディッヒ), Kuinshī Forushutendihhi; German for "Quincy: Complete", Japanese for "Monk of Destruction: Complete Holy Form"): The Quincy: Vollständig is the last resort for a Quincy using the special glove to initiate the ability. The ability is apart of Quincy evolution and is the answer to the drawbacks of the outdated Quincy: Letzt Stil. It is the easiest ability to understand, because their appearance and power changes evidently.
The Quincy possess numerous artifacts and equipment which help them in different ways.
- Hollow Bait: This item is a small, coin-shaped disk that attracts Hollows when crushed. When used by Uryū, the bait, in combination with Ichigo's powerful spiritual pressure, was able to draw a Gillian-class Menos out of Hueco Mundo.
- Quincy Bangle (装身具, sōshingu; literally. "Accessory"): The Quincy Bangle is an artifact designed to mimic a Quincy's natural powers. It works by drawing in spirit particles from the environment, much like a Quincy does regularly. It can only be used properly by those who are already adept at forming and directing spirit particles.
- Quincy Cross (滅却十字, mekkyaku jūji, literally. "Destruction Cross"): A cross in the shape of a Quincy Zeichen that only those who have inherited Quincy abilities and techniques are allowed to possess. Only those that have achieved the powers of a Quincy may possess it. Standard equipment for any Quincy, the Quincy Cross acts as the focus for a Quincy bow. The cross need not necessarily be in a cross shape, as Ryūken's cross is a pentacle. Uryū's first Quincy cross took the shape of a cross , but his recent one also takes the shape of a pentacle.
- Sanrei Glove (散霊手套, sanrei shutō): This is a powerful Quincy artifact that can increase a Quincy's power exponentially, but requires a dangerous and exhausting type of resistance training by wearing it for a week while constantly firing spiritual arrows to master. The glove works by scattering the spirit particles in the surrounding area, making it much harder to form a working bow.
- Seele Schneider (魂を切り裂くもの (ゼーレシュナイダー), Zēreshunaidā; German for "Soul Cutter", Japanese for "That Which Slits the Soul"): The Seele Schneider is a thin sword that can be fired similarly to an arrow. It's much longer than a standard arrow and functions something like a chainsaw: the spirit particles of its blade vibrate at ultra-high frequencies, loosening the molecular bonds between any spirit matter it cuts so that the Quincy user may easily absorb the freed spirit particles. Uryū also stated that using it increased his spiritual power. The Seele Schneiders Uryū uses are stolen from a secret storage room under Karakura hospital.
- Gintō (銀筒, Silver tubes): Gintō are small liquid-filled capsules that store spiritual energy, and are used by the Quincy for spell casting in the same way that Shinigami use Kidō. Like Kidō, they are activated by calling out various commands.
- Soul-synthesized silver(霊化銀, reika gin): Soul-synthesized silver was used by Ryūken Ishida to construct the hidden chamber in which Uryū trains.
- Soul-synthesized glass (霊化硝子, reika gurasu): Like soul-synthesized silver, soul-synthesized glass was used to construct the hidden chamber in the Karakura Hospital.
(† = confirmed death)
|Uryū Ishida||"Quincy Prodigy"||Active|
|Ryūken Ishida||"Last of the Quincy"||Active|
|Sōken Ishida||Former "Last of the Quincy"||Deceased †|
|Kirge Opie||Executive Hunting Captain of the Jagdarmee||Active|
|Unnamed Vandenreich Member||Stern Ritter Member||Active|
|Bambietta Basterbine||Stern Ritter "E"||Active|
|Äs Nödt||Stern Ritter "F"||Active|
|NaNaNa Najahkoop||Stern Ritter "U"||Active|
|Buzzbee||Stern Ritter Member||Active|
|Unnamed Male Vandenreich||Stern Ritter Member||Active|
- Tite Kubo has used a German motif on some of the Quincy's items and abilities throughout the series.